From white patches growing on bread to slimy black spots that appear on your shower curtain, mold can manifest itself in various ways. The general rule of thumb is that when mold is visible, you should have it removed immediately and seek treatment. But did you know that mold can be present in your home and affect your health without being visible?
Signs That You Need Mold Exposure Treatment
The most obvious sign of mold-induced toxicity is an allergic reaction; coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath etc. Still, adverse exposure doesn’t always trigger an immediate response. This makes it crucial to familiarize yourself with other health issues that mold can cause:
- Sensory and neurological: Toxic exposure to mold is known to affect vision, causing irritation and sensitivity to bright light. This may be accompanied by enhanced sensitivity to touch and tingling sensations beneath skin. Sense of smell also gets affected, leading to adverse symptoms upon exposure to strong odors. Neurological issues include headaches, sharp pain along the spine and, in some cases, seizures.
- Cognitive: Brain fog, loss of short-term memory, poor concentration, impaired ability to plan and execute.
- Digestive: The digestive system may become hypersensitive to certain foods, leading to stomach aches, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. You might also notice a phantom metallic taste in the mouth.
- Psychiatric: Hallucinations, erratic mood swings, panic attacks, irritability, and a general inability to cope with stress.
- Sleep: Adverse mold exposure can get in your ability to get a good night’s sleep, resulting in fatigue and the cognitive problems we’ve just highlighted.
Granted, these issues can also point towards other mold-unrelated ailments. But there’s a good chance you have a mold problem if you’ve noticed quite a few of them in your household. For that matter, we must highlight that it takes time to develop symptoms following adverse exposure.
Knowing how to spot a mold infestation before it gets out of hand is thus crucial. Look out for the following factors:
- Water events: Mold thrives in moist environments. You might want to call in a remediation service if you’ve recently experienced issues like leaks and burst pipes. Likewise, seeking exposure treatment wouldn’t be such a bad idea.
- Signs of water damage: Flooding from a leak or burst pipe can precipitate mold growth in as little as 72 hours. This should give you an idea of what you might be dealing with if there are evident signs of water damage (stains, bubbling, flaking, cracking etc) in your home.
- Musty odors: Most forms of mold produce a musty odor. So if there’s a such a smell somewhere in your house, chances are that you’ve already been exposed — seek treatment immediately.
- Discoloration: This could pinpoint moisture problems or mold growth itself. Do note that mold isn’t always black/white; it can also be brown, red, gray or pastel, depending on the species.
Stitch Now and Save Nine
Mold can be severely damaging to your home and health. If there’s any hint of its presence, it would be in your best interest to hire a remediation service and seek treatment right away.